Fire at Fort. Snelling construction site caused by sparks on the roof
(FOX 9) – The state fire marshal’s office preliminary investigation concluded that a fire at a Fort Snelling construction site was caused by sparks from the cutting of holes in the metal roof soffit for vents.
The fire started in one of the former officers’ buildings at 6271 Taylor Ave., which is being converted to veteran and low-income housing in the abandoned Fort Snelling Upper Post.
Two firefighters were treated for minor burns to their hands caused by melting tar blown from the roof by the wind.
Several hundred workers were actively working at the time of the fire. They will rebuild the structure.
The Upper Post Renovation is a $100 million plan to transform more than two dozen derelict and dilapidated buildings located just off Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. The Upper Post was built in 1878 and was the seat of the Dakotas Department before North and South Dakota became states.