‘It blew him off his machine’: Worker ‘lucky to be alive’ after being shocked by power line in Burlington – Boston News, Weather, Sports

BURLINGTON, MASS. (WHDH) — Two construction workers were seriously injured, including one with severe burns to the head and body, after their machines touched live electrical wires while working in Burlington on Tuesday, officials said.

Burlington police and firefighters responding to reports of electric shock on Carey Avenue at 8 a.m. found both men injured. Both were alert and conscious when taken to hospital, but one man had severe burns to his head and side of his body, officials said.

The man, Mike Mullane, 21, was driving a loader when his bucket hit electrical wires and he was shocked when he touched one of the truck’s levers, workers said.

“It knocked him off his machine,” said worker Gerry Betitpas.

Betitpas, who was working with that team at the time of the incident, said once Mullane was shocked, another worker went to turn off a machine and him. But as he did that, he grabbed his handle and was shocked himself.

Officials praised the owner, who saw the men in shock and called first responders.

“He was looking out the window at the time, saw everything unfold and was able to get to 911 immediately…As we all know, minutes and seconds save lives,” the police chief said. Burlington, Thomas Browne.

“Mike is very lucky to be alive,” Mullane’s mother told 7News. “He suffered severe burns and will be operated on tomorrow. We would like to thank the owner and everyone who helped him today.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Eversource responded to the scene.

“I’m just glad they’re both okay. It was just an accident. Hopefully it won’t happen again,” Betitpas said.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Join our newsletter for the latest news straight to your inbox

Alice F. Ponder